Spiti Valley has caught the popular imagination in recent past. This cold desert mountain valley is located in the North-Eastern part of Himachal. Closed to the outside world, the valley opened up to foreigners only in 1992. This vast expanse of unexplored stretch of Indian Himalayas is stark with high snow peaks, clear sky and tumbling rivers. The clear mountain air, sparsely inhabited quaint villages and serene monasteries are anything you have visited before.
The word Spiti in local language means 'middle land', here standing for the land between Tibet and India. Near the Tibetan border, the Spiti Valley is 3680 meters above sea level. The calm and peace of this land, as you sit beside the Chandratal lake will make you feel happy to be alive.
Most of the land can be reached only on an SUV. And that's what we are doing. We will be driving through Spiti Valley on our trip. And the roads are not very comfortable in most of the stretches. But if you are the adventurous kinds, you will love this trip and remember it as one of your best holidays.
8 days - 7 nights
- Our trip begins from Chandigarh. We all assemble here and then drive to Manali. It's an 8-9 hour drive. We spend the night in Manali.
- 200 km away from Manali is Kaza. This is where we have to reach today. The drive will be through changing topography. From dense forested hills to rocky barren planes to snow covered mountains. We will be covering Rohtang Pass and Kunzum Pass on the way.
-Rohtang Pass is at height of 3978 mtrs above sea level on the Pir Panjal Range of the Himalayas. It connects Kullu Valley to Spiti Valley. Kunzum Pass is at an elevation of 4590 mtrs. There will be snow peaked mountains all around us. You will notice the considerable difference in the air and smells.
-After this 10 hour long drive, we spend the night at Kaza.
- Today we explore the valley as we drive to Langza, Hikkim and Komik.
-Langza is this small picturesque village which has the ancient Lang Temple, which more than a 1000 year old. Langza is also the spot where you will find pre-historic fossils of marine animals and plants. Since millions of years ago Spiti was submerged by the Tethys Sea.
-The post office at Hikkim is a post office at the highest elevation in the world. You have an Instagram moment here.
-Komik is situated at a height of 4513 mtrs, and this farming village has just 84 residents. There are more number of people in my building.
-We do Yak Safari today. This sturdy and furry animal is quite a ride.
We spend the night in Kaza.
Drive time today: 3-4 hour
- We explore the world famous Ki Monastery with a monk today. More than a 1000 year old and situated a height of 13,668 feet, it belongs to Geluga Sect of Tibetan Buddhism. It is a prominent centre of learning and overlooks the plains of Spiti Valley. Be ready to embrace some peace and calm here.
-We drive to the quaint little village of Kibber. Today it is a popular base camp for trekkers and mountaineers.
-We spend the night at Kaza
Drive time: 3-4 hours
- Today we drive to the only other town of Spiti Valley - Tabo. There's a 1020 year old monastery here, called Tabo Monastery. It is a UNESCO world heritage site and is famous for its ancient paintings. These paintings are in a style which is a fusion of Western, Kashmiri, Indian and Tibetan style of painting.
-We then drive to Dhankar, a hamlet perched above the confluence of Spiti and Pin River. Dhankar was the capital of the King of Spiti. The 1200 year old Dhankar Gompa is rested adventurously between eroded rocky pinnacles on the edge of a cliff. If we have time on hand, we will visit the tranquil Dhankar lake.
-Later we will drive to Lhalung, 'the land of God'. It is located at teh foot of Tangmar Mountains which supposedly transforms in colour depending on the mood of the deities. Lhalung is also home to one of the oldest monastery in the valley, situated at an elevation of 3658 mtrs.
-We spend the night at an authentic local homestay with a local family in Lhalung, learning how to make momos at 12,000 ft above sea level.
Drive time today: 4-5 hours
- Today we visit the Chandratal Lake. It is oneof those locations in the world were you will feel humbled and happy to be on Earth. The tranquil lake, with the starlit sky above it and mountains in the backdrop seem like a protective cocoon. In the quiet of the night all you will hear is your breath. Located at a height of 14,000 ft, the name translates to Moon Lake.
-We spend the night in our camps at Chandratal Lake. Our tents are equipped with sleeping bags/blankets and a comfortable mattress.
-Drive time today: 6-7 hours
-We drive back to Manali today. Look forward to different topography. Drive time: 6-7 hours. Night halt at Manali.
-We drive to Chandigarh.
Drive time: 8-9 hours.
- Stay on twin sharing basis.
-Stay in tent, as mentioned in the itinerary. (On twin sharing basis)
- Commute from and to Chandigarh. Commute through Spiti Valley.
- Monk's tour guide through Ki Monastery
- All breakfasts and dinners except those on Day 1 and Day 8.
- Momo making session
- Air/train tickets to and from Chandigarh.
-Lunches. And all meals on Day 1 and Day 8.
- Any personal expense like shopping, tipping, etc
- Water bought for personal consumption
- Anything not included in inclusions
Note: Single occupancy can be arranged at an extra cost.
To claim credit for photos write to email@example.com