The spiritual capital of the country, Varanasi on the banks of Ganges has a vibe that is the most peaceful. The air is fragrant with the smell of marigolds, and alive with faint chanting. The food is another reason you should park yourself in this city for 2-3 days. The land of Shiva is the most serene destination we have been to. Just sitting at the banks is like someone singing lullaby to our cranky minds. Also known as Benaras, Banaras and Kashi, the city is a cultural centre as well, famous for its exquisite craftsmanship. After all, isn’t the Benarasi sari a must have for every bride.
3 days - 2 nights
- Land in the city by afternoon. Meet the local expert at the airport. Drive half-way to the hotels, stop mid way for lunch. Then get onto boats to reach the place of stay. A little about the place where you can put up. It's on the banks of Ganges. Your rooms have a view of the Ganges. And you reach your hotel sitting on boats. Isn't that going to be awesome.
- You check-in your hotel rooms and relax a little.
- Early in the evening our local expert takes you to the ghat and witness the grand aarti from the steps. It is a spectacle with the chanting and bells tolling. The atmosphere is rife with a feeling of being one with the universe. It's like meditating to the chants, the bells and of course the pacifying laps of the Ganges.
- For dinner you get to gorge on the local food. Thinking of the famous Chaats of Benaras. You could take a pick from Tomato Chaat, Crispy Paalak Chaat or Creamy Dahi Bhalla. We recommend all.
- For breakfast, your local expert will make you try out more local food. You then go for a Heritage Walk through the narrow lanes of old Benaras. The lanes are thousands of years old, and walking through them you will feel like visiting the old city in all its glory. While there you have the very famous Lassi of Benaras. They have so many flavours of lassi that you will be spoilt for choice.
- For lunch you go to this Thali Place where you get to eat batti-chokha and so much more. Then head back to the hotel for some rest.
-In the evening you go to the weavers' colony. Here you get to experience the old way of weaving which the craftsmen of Benaras still practice. You visit more ghats of this famed city. Try some world famous Banarasi paan.
- You end the day by devouring Kachoris. Another favourite food of the locals, and no one makes it better than the Banarasi babus.
- Early morning you take a boat ride on the Ganges to witness the sunrise. That's not all, Classical Musicians will accompany you. So you have LIVE music on your boats. Imagine listening to live performance by a musician on a sitar/seedha veena accompanied by tabla at sunrise, on the Ganges. Am already there.
- You have breakfast and then check out from your hotel.
- You take a boat ride and then drive to the airport.
Bye Benaras, see you soon.
- Stay in a 3 star Heritage property
- Commute within the city
- Transport to and from Varanasi airport in a private cab
- 2 meals on Day 1, 3 meals on Day 2, 1 meal on Day 3 (also, 1 serving each of paan and lassi)
- Boat rides and live music mentioned in the itinerary
- Heritage walk with a local expert
- Flight tickets to and from Varanasi
- Any personal expense like shopping, etc
- Water bought for personal consumption
- Anything not included in inclusions
Image courtesy: Anand Oinam