When listeners needed a break from the informative broadcasts of All India Radio, Radio Ceylon was what they tuned their radios to. Check with the older generation and they will tell you how they heard Beatles for the first time on Radio Ceylon. Radio Ceylon is the oldest radio station in Asia. And through its broadcasts, Ameen Sayani was a part of our homes much before we were born. No, this visit is not about going to the radio station. But this visit is surely about nostalgia. About everything we have heard and imagined about this beautiful neighbour of ours. Let's explore the country not like neighbours, but like true blue tourists. From strawberry farms to boat safaris to meeting baby elephants to cultural shows. Let's do it like the firangs.
7 days - 6 nights
Activity: Arrival, transfer and visit to fishermen’s village
- We land at Colombo’s BIA Airport. We are transferred to our hotel in Negombo. It is an hour’s drive from Colombo and is on the western coast of the country. The city has a lot of Dutch influence though it has also been under the occupation of the Portuguese and British.
- In the evening we visit the beach where traditional sail boats dance to the winds. We also go to some fishermen’s village.
Overnight stay in Negombo.
Activity: Feed baby elephants and Kandy cultural show
- Today we transfer to Kandy. On the way we visit the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage. Be ready to become friends with these cute little elephants as you feed them. When the herd takes a bath in the river, they might just shower you with water if they like you enough.
- We then go to Kandy Cultural Show where traditional Kandyan Dancers perform for us in all their finery. We will also sway to the Traditional Drums and Instruments being played for us.
Check in at the hotel in Kandy for overnight stay.
Activity: Visit the Temple of the Tooth Relic, Gem Stone Factory, Ramboda Falls and enjoy a special Ceylon Tea Tasting Session
- Today we visit the Temple of the Tooth Relic. It is said that the temple has a tooth of Buddha still preserved here. The tooth is kept in chamber and the door to the chamber is covered in gold, silver and ivory. The temple is located in the royal palace complex of the former Kingdom of Kandy. Since ancient times, the relic has played an important role in local politics because it is believed that whoever holds the relic holds the governance of the country. We visit the Last Royal Palace as well.
- After a short visit to a Gem Stone Factory, we transfer to Nuwara Eliya.
- Ramboda Falls is 358 ft high and is just the scenery you need to get those pictures clicked. So don’t shy away.
- When we read the headline ‘Sri Lanka to pay Iran oil debt in tea’, most of us are not surprised. Sri Lanka is the second largest exporter of tea, and Tea Tourism is latest trend in the country. So obviously, when tourists from a tea loving country go to this island, a tea tasting session is a must. So here we succumb.
Check in at the Hotel in Nuwara Eliya for overnight stay.
Activity: Visit to strawberry farm, dairy farm and cheese making, watersports.
- Let’s go to the strawberry farm today and pick some fresh harvest and then enjoy the flavours as a smoothie, milkshake or strawberry pan cake.
- We then go to Ambewela Farm also known as Little New Zealand. Spread over 1500 acres of green pastures with English styled staff cottages, the meadow seems like a setting in the English country side. In this early morning visit we get to know the cheese/yogurt making process.
- In the evening we have planned a visit to Lake Gregory. Take a walk or get your adrenaline rushing by (assisted) jet skiing. Rowing and Kayaking are other watersports to indulge in. (Cost of rides not included)
- Overnight stay in Nuwara Eliya.
Activity: Visit to Hakgala Botanical Garden and transfer to Kaluthara
- We go to Hakgala Botanical Garden today. Situated on a mountain, it overlooks the valley. There are various kinds of trees and plants for us to experience. Say hello to many kinds of fragrant smells and bird calls. The garden is huge, so wear that comfortable pair of shoes. Did we mention: lots of photo opportunity here.
- We transfer to Kaluthara and check in at the hotel. We are staying in a beach resort so rest and enjoy the golden sand beach as you hear the waves breaking.
Overnight stay in Kaluthara.
Activity: Boat Safari, Nibbling Fish Farm, Experience traditional Mask Carving, Stilt Fishing.
- Boat Safari along the Madu River is an experience that you will cherish for a long-long time to come. The mangrove canopied water ways also called the mangrove caves are stunning to cruise through. Its flourishing ecosystem and secretive passageways will surprise and delight you. We pause at an island devoted to processing cinnamon. You can buy a handful here for aromatic adventures in your kitchen later. We might also come across migratory birds. And some crocodiles that will swim past us. If you are lucky you might get a photo with a baby crocodile in your hand. Photo opportunities galore.
- We will stop by a Nibbling Fish Farm where score of fish will nibble at your feet removing dead skin. It’s a sought after therapy, am told.
- We then go to experience the traditional art of Mask Carving. Craftsmen carving wood to make magnificent masks.
- We go to Koggala next where traditional form of fishing on stilts planted in shallow waters is still practiced. You can try your hand in fishing, with the help of the local fishermen.
- Overnight stay in Koggala
Activity: Galle Fort visit, transfer to Colombo for departure.
- We go to Galle Fort for an architectural tour inside the Dutch fort and Old City. Galle is on the southwest coast of Sri Lanka, and Galle Fort is the fortified old city founded by the Portuguese colonist in the 16th century. Over a period of time the architecture embraced Dutch and British influence.
- We then transfer to Colombo for our departure. Bye Ceylon!
- 6 Nights Stay on Double/Twin Sharing Basis
- 6 Breakfasts at the Hotel
- 6 Dinners at the Hotel
- 7 Lunches in Restaurants/ Home made Meals (Optional)
- All transfers in A/C Bus
- English Speaking Tour Guide
- Entrance fees to Site-seeing places
- 5% GST (Rs. 1,655)
- Air tickets
- Breakfast on the Day of Arrival
- Dinner on the Day of Departure
- Watersports on Day4.
- Personal Expenses and Tips
- Damages caused to the hotel by guests
- Additional tours or detours
- Early check-in / late check-out fees
- Visa fees
Note: Single occupancy can be arranged at an extra cost.